Sunday, April 25, 2010

1972 Fuji Finest Build

I made some progress with my 1972 Fuji Finest.  The Newbaums cloth handlebar tape took four coats of shellac rather than my customary three coats.  The cloth is a lot thicker and consequently soaks up a lot of shellac.  Similarly, the weave pattern seems more prominent.  But at four coats, I was quite happy with the feel under hand as well as the color - it is nearly a perfect match now for the maroon Brooks Imperial saddle:


It is almost ready to go, just need to hook up cables and so forth.  However, I also picked up a set of SKS Chromoplastic fenders to install, so that will add a little time before this is on the road.

The full list of bits/pieces for enquiring minds:

Front Derailleur: Compe V
Rear Derailleur: Suntour V Luxe GT
Crankset: Specialized "Flag" triple 50/39/28, including original BB
Freewheel: IRD 13/32
Headset: Sprint Alloy, JIS, hand me down from earlier Superbe
Stem: Nitto Technomic
Bars: Nitto Olympiade, 42cm
Bar tape: Newbaums maroon
Brakes/Levers: NOS set of early Dia Compe Gran Compe
Pedals: MKS Touring
Seatpost: SR Laprade 26.6
Saddle: New Brooks Imperial, maroon
Rims: Sun CR18 700c, 36h, polished
Spokes: DT straight gauge
Tires: Specialized Nimbus Armadillos, 35c
Hubs: Campy Nuovo Tipo
Shifters: Suntour Power Ratchet DT
Bell: Crane, made in Osaka no less, available through Rivendell.

And lets not forget the vintage Christophe Special toeclips adorned with VO toeclip leathers and VO toeclip straps with buckle pad.

1 comment:

Doug said...

BEAUTIFUL, Vintage Fuji! Good job on your part getting it to this point.

I'm a complete novice at road bike restoration but have in my possession, a 1972 road bike - it's ridable, but not restored. I'm going to sell it, but do not know how to determine it's value. I would really appreciate your guidance & can send you pics/details if you like. Please e/mail me at d1donlydroy@yahoo.com
or call my office (800) 451-4506 in Philadelphia and ask for Doug Roy. Thanks!